______________________________________________________________________________________________




______________________________________________________________________________________________




______________________________________________________________________________________________

Sunday, December 25, 2022

December 24, 1959

 





This is our living room, captured with a black & white Polaroid. It's easy to surmise that there wasn't tons of money for lots of gifts. That bicycle was a hand-me-down from someone. I'm noticing it was a girl's bike. Hmm. 

We received some presents Christmas morning for a number of years as well as a few Chanukah gifts. I never really wondered why we were getting "Christmas" presents, hell, any day was a good day for presents! Turns out we were getting gifts on December 24th because that was our parents wedding anniversary, but we didn't know it! We were told Mum & Dad got married September 24th

Seems someone had been pregnant and a shotgun was involved.




                                                                                      







Notice what's on top of that Zenith television set. 

I still have that clock and vase. My sister has the menorah.



17 comments:

  1. What a wonderfully nostalgic picture!!!! And I adore the clock! Glad you still have it. Does it run as fast as yourself?

    Happy Holiday to one of my favorite bloggers!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks darling! I bet you got at least one dick in a box!

      Delete
  2. It's so heartening that you still have the vase and clock after all these years. I still have some bits and pieces from my grandparents' house, and the Madame has his late parents' clock - memories we cherish. Jx

    PS I guess you didn't hold onto the girl's bike for long? 🙄

    ReplyDelete
  3. It's actually scary all the crap I have from back then. Since I like stuff like that, the family has buried me with memorabilia. What makes me sad is that there's no one that will want it from me.

    Such is life, right?

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'd say you won out in the heirloom contest with your sister. Let us skip over the whole xmas/chanukah division and wish everyone a happy Boxing Day.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Boxing Day, TODAY!
      BTW, I'm fine with her having the menorah. I have too fucking much as it is.

      Delete
  5. I also have some bits and pieces from my grandparents house, and a lot of stuff from my parents. And like you I don’t have anyone to pass it on to. One day all my belongings will be taken down the tip or sent to the junk shop, I imagine, unless I create back stories for my favourite things and make out they once belonged to someone famous! Now there’s an idea!
    Have a lovely holiday, Ms Norma!
    Sxx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I LOVE that "owned by someone famous" idea! I mean, I'm famous, right?

      Delete
    2. I'd say you're famous, considering that Mr. DeVice coined the term "The Normaverse."

      Delete
  6. Girl's bike or no, finding a bicycle in the living room amongst all the presents meant it was the best Christmas!
    And could those inflatable wheelie dogs be the seed for corgis of Future Norma?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I remember that bike & I remember the day I flew into the house screaming for Mum to take the training wheels off. It's a lovely memory.

      As to those little doggy toys, they must've been for my younger brother or sister. I hate to tell you but something happened Xmas morning & Mother went ballistic & threw that car garage down the cellar stairs & destroyed it. Not her best moment.

      Delete
  7. Where are the giant ashtrays of yore?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You're right! Smoking was definitely on the menu!
      Actually, I have a few ashtrays from then.

      Delete
  8. My sincere apologies! I don't get informed of comments anymore because Google changed my email address & won't let me change it back. I guess the holiday (or a noise) distracted me & I forgot to return here!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm guessing that also means that you don't get informed of new comments on blogs where you've already left a comment?

      Delete

Please, we're all ears!